Tuesday, July 1, 2008

House of Night

I hope to use this blog as a way to recommend books, find books, and discuss books. Reading is a joy in my life. I have always loved the thrill of starting a new book and the immersion into a world that is often not like my own. As I create this blog, I want to reach my students through discussion and sharing of what I love. I will blog about what I am currently reading as well as keep a running list of what I want to read. Let's get started!

I just finished the first book in the House of Night series, Marked. It certainly pushes the bounds of respectability when it comes to religion and vampires. I was intrigued by the plot because it is set in Tulsa, Oklahoma, and is written by a mother/daughter team who live in our great state. The teenager voice comes through with language that is abrasive but true to that generation. I was surprised at the sexuality of the book and thought it to be unneccessary. Despite the language and sexuality, I can't wait to get my hands on Betrayed and Chosen. If you want to start with a vampire book, I recommend Twilight by Stephanie Meyer. There is romance, blood, and vampires all wrapped up in one lovely story.

So... now you know what I'm reading. Let's here from you. Any good vampire novels out there that you want to recommend? Leave a comment and let me know

3 comments:

Claire said...

Yikes! I don't do vampires. They give me the creeps.I guess if I were to read them, I might check this one out on your recommendation. However, if you need a good crime novel, I can give you lots of ideas.

Unknown said...

I read Twilight last week and loved it so much I immediately read it again. I liked the way the author wrote the romance aspect of the story without being the least bit smutty. I have the next book in the series on reserve at the library. I can't wait to read it! I read lots and lots from a wide variety of genres. I love to read!

Browns said...

I love the Stephanie Meyer books. I have read all of them and can't wait for the fourth one to come out in August! I am on the waiting list at Hastings! I am not a fan of Vampires but these books have great character.