Sunday, July 6, 2008

The Giving Tree

During our weekly trip to the library, Lillian chose the usual books about spiders, bugs, and other disgusting things. But, she also picked a classic children's book called The Giving Tree by Shel Silverstein. Anyone with children should own a copy! It begins with "Once there was a tree... and she loved a little boy." It is a sad story but one of loyalty and giving that is a lesson for any age. Lillian liked the simple black and white pictures.




Another great choice was The Twin Princes by Tedd Arnold. It has a riddle to solve, puns on every page, and the classic battle of hero vs. villian. It's a "featherbrained fairy tale" that is irresistible fun!

3 comments:

Claire said...

These look like some good ones. We've actually never checked out 'The Giving Tree'. I'll have to remember that the next time we go to the library. We recently checked out a pretty good book. It was called 'Plum' by Tony Mitton. It is poems, some long, some short, and the illustrations are really great. Grace enjoyed the poetry, and Claire really liked the pictures.

You're going to have to tell me how to insert the picture of the book, because I've looked and looked for an image (like you have) but couldn't find one. Even if I did, I am not sure how to insert it into my text.

Browns said...

I love Shel Silverstein books. My mom used to read me his poems/stories as a child and I know many of them by heart. Ty likes to read them to the boys. The boys get so tickled with a lot of the poems. Good Stuff!

Claire said...

I checked out 'The Giving Tree' yesterday at the library, and Claire & I just read it. I forgot how sad it was! She liked it a lot, though, and has been flipping through the pages since we read it and just asked me to read it again. Thanks for the recommendation.