Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Kids and The Library

As most households, we have a plethora of books for our children to enjoy. There is a special bookcase in our house built just for these books!

Despite the many choices at home, nothing is better than a trip to the library for "new" books. There is something about the library that has confused Lillian in the way of buying and bartering. She has seen me use my library card at the library then use my debit card at Wal-mart. I can just imagine her thought process- "mom uses a similar card at both places but at one place, she is eager to take me and whip out the card. at the other, she relunctantly visits and limits what I can put in the cart. why is that?"

Now that she is 5, I think she understands the concept of "checking out books" or "renting." Her brain has made a distinction between this and "buying" at the store. When you think about it, it really is a confusing issue but I think we have finally conquered it. Visits to the library are enjoyed because we can get whatever we want FOR FREE!

Now that is something I can live with!

1 comment:

Claire said...

We love the library. We just went today, although we did not stay long because Kate dumped 2 feet of children's books out onto the floor then ran as fast as she could toward the adult section.

Grace was very confused, too, but once she understood, she wanted her own library card immediately.