Friday, October 24, 2008

How I Choose Books

When I hear of a good book or someone recommends a book to me, the first thing I do is go to amazon.com and search for the title. Then, I read the reviews and the summary. If it sounds interesting, I write the title and author on my book wish list. I price the book on ebay and Amazon before making a purchase. Sometimes, the public library will have it. Even though I have an obsession with books, I don't like them cluttering up my home. I would rather borrow than buy.

Sometimes I choose a book because of it's cover. Does anyone else do that?

3 comments:

Claire said...

I pretty much always choose books from the library by the cover.

Here's the method that I use to chose other books-I hear of a book that I'm interested in, usually on NPR while driving, or from a friend. I attempt to write the title on author on a scrap of paper which I promptly lose. I attempt in vain to remember the book, and search amazon, google, and the library online catalog. Sometimes I find it, sometimes I find something else that I enjoy. Sometimes I find the scrap of paper months later and wonder what I meant by it. So, its pretty much luck of the draw for me, unless its an author that I really familiar with and then I wait for those new books to come out.

Unknown said...

I do the same thing you do...search for a recommended book on Amazon then put it on reserve at the library or borrow it from whomever recommended it. I have never, ever perused the adult section of the library. Never even stepped foot in it actually. I just reserve and then pick up at the counter. I do prowl through the kids' section though. But mostly I just scout out my mom's bookcases for grown up books and take whatever's new that looks interesting. For me it's a combination of the cover and the description on the back. -Mindy H.

Melinda said...

There is a great web site called Living Social (http://livingsocial.com/) where you can keep track of the books you read, get recommendations based on the books you like, and you can read reviews for any and every book as well. You should definitely check it out.