Sunday, October 19, 2008

I Can't Believe It!

Has it really been weeks since I've posted?!?! Yes, it has and I feel terrible!

I have been reading tons of young adult literature so I can recommend books to my students. I read Catalyst by Laurie Halse Anderson. I teach Speak by the same author and many students want to know what else she has written when we finish it.

Teenage guys are loving a series by Rick Riordan. The first book is called The Lightning Thief. It has to do with Greek gods and goddesses with constant action and heart pounding excitement. I think younger kids would enjoy this, too.

Finally, I'm previewing a memoir by Elie Wiesel called Night to possibly teach in pre-AP this year. It is his personal experience in surviving the Holocaust. It has several parts that are graphic and stomach wrenching. Do I really want to tackle this in 8th grade? Probably the most disturbing is the truthfulness of his account.

Finally, finally, I am starting the 3rd House of Night book. Back to vampires!

Anyone reading anything new and exciting? I often get stuck in a rut with certain authors or genres and hearing your recommendations really help.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I read half of "Mayflower: A Story of Courage, Community and War" by Nathaniel Philbrick. I picked it off my parents' book shelf at the start of fall break. It was very enlightening. I've heard the elementary school version of the pilgrims of Plymouth Colony and visited Plimoth Plantation and the Mayflower II in Massachusetts. But reading this book which is based on letters and other documentation from the 1600's shines a new light on the story. So far it's a quick, fascinating read. I left it at my parents' so I won't get to finish it until Thanksgiving. Appropriate, huh?

Before fall break I read the first "House of Night" book. I liked the story but was not impressed with the language and other adult content. Madi won't be reading this series until she's 30!
Mindy H.

Claire said...

I am so glad to have another Bookworm post! I've missed it!

I recently read a really great book called "Hold Tight" by Harlan Coben. Its a story about a kid caught up in some really big trouble, and his family's efforts to save him, as well as some other side mysteries that all end up being connected. Its definitely an adult story, though, just due to content. I'd previously read another book by this author and wasn't impressed, but this one was really good.

I'm ready "Cause Celeb" by Helen Fielding now (the author of Bridget Jones). I'm still undecided about whether or night I like it, though.

-Ambert

Trace and Sarah said...

Amy,

I have been checking periodically for a new post...I recently finished a book called "Water For Elephants" by Sara Gruen (may check the spelling of the author). I loved it - you may want to check it out, probably an R Rating for sexuality and graphic scenes, so beware.

Sarah