Friday, February 13, 2009

Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs


My sister-in-law, Sarah, introduced me to this delightful book. I hadn't heard of the title, but she fondly remembered it from childhood. She was thoughtful enough to send Lillian and Lucas a copy for Valentine's Day. Lillian and I read it twice the night we got it. Lillian loved the silly story and I enjoyed the illustrations. It is about a town called Chewsandswallow where the townspeople get their breakfast, lunch, and dinner from the sky. Life is simple until the fickle weather starts sending hurricanes of rolls, giant pancakes that flatten the school, and meatballs big enough to crush houses. The people must find away to stop the "weather" or leave their town forever. Fun, fun story!
While researching online, I discovered that a computer animated video version will be released in Sept. 2009. Also, there are lesson plans for teaching weather.
Cloudy With A Chance of Meatballs by Judi Barrett
original copyright: 1978
sequel: Pickles for/to Pittsburgh

No comments: